Friday 1 June 2012




Portrait 5: Robert De Niro

Robert De Niro has been a favourite actor of mine since early childhood. From classics Like 'Raging Bull. 'Taxi Driver', 'The Deerhunter', and 'Goodfellas' to his more comedic efforts like 'Midnight Run' and 'Meet the Parents'. I will prob do some more portraits of De Niro from when he was younger but I'm started with a much more recent photo for this next portrait. As always I sterted with a rough outline sketch to get all the facial features and face structure. 



After this I added a bit more detail but not as much as a standard pencil portrait. The reason for this is That I wanted to color the portrait digitally; new experience for me. I added some beard and hair detail, as well as strengthening the line work around the face.



After I was happy with the basic image I scanned it into photophop. Not being very adept at Photoshop I merely played with the contrast and light levels until I had a bolder, stronger looking image.




Before coloring I also cropped out the background below and arond the neck and placed in a neutrally colored background layer. I changed the background layers filter to give it a 'notebook' texture. 
After the background layer was complete I created 2 more layers to go underneath the face layer. One layer was for color tones and the other was for shadow. I used the paintbrush to hand paint in all the hair and tonal work. At the moment I do not own a graphics tablet and there was forced to draw it all using the track pad. Because of this I feel that It looks a little bit messy and not as neat as It could. Having said that this is one of y first digitally colored portraits and In hindsight is not a bad effort. I was pleased with some of the shadow effects I was able to get arount the eyes, creaces in the skin and around the beard. 


Generally pretty happy with this portrait but I hope to make an inprovement with the addition of a graphic tablet and a bit of practice. My sixth and final portrait will be of Arnold Schwazanegger, I pill post this later tonight. Thanks for viewing!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment