Saturday 26 May 2012


Portrait one of 6: Salvador Dali.


I am presently designing a set of 6 portraits for a self directed brief, as a part of my year 2 Illustration studies. My brief is to design 6 seperate portraits of artists or individuals that I have found Inspiring at some point of my life. To make the set more interesting/unique I have chosen to design each portrait with a slightly different media. For this 'Salvador Dali' digital portrait I wanted to match dali's own bizarre style in the portrait. Using my usual detailed style I tryed to fill the face with a few different influences, without making the illustration to busy. After completing the initial hand drawn sketch I cleaned it up in Photoshop, played with the 'level', 'contrast', and saturation. After I was pleased witht the basic image I added a background color (purple) then contsrusted a differnt, more 'trippy' background, in keepinf with some of dali's own work. 


I chose to leave The portait black and white as I thought that realisticlly toned digital color would take a long time to do properly. I could have added simple color tones but didn't want to take away anything from the detail in the face. Overall I'm very pleased with the outcome, especially as have only recently started using Photoshop. I will soon be investing in a graphis tablet so can illustrate straight into Photoshop/Illustrator, which which give my work a more constistantly clean look and save me the hassle of constantly scanning in drawings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment