Sunday 27 May 2012

Still Ballin


Portrait 4: Tupac collage. 

This was my first portrait in a while and although quite challenging I found it to be a relaxing and methodical, if not messy process. I drew out a basic sketch of the subject on a piece of paper (A3) I then cut out a large amount of colored paper and card from a range of magazines. The paper color had to coraspond with the tones of image obviously. In this case it was browns, oranges, greys, blacks and skin tones.




After cutting out all the neccessary bits i needed I then painstaking applied all the paper and card to compose the image. I didn't want it to look to generated or precise so I used some larger pieces as well as small pieces of paper/card. After completing the collage I colored the 'hoodie' digitally and added the classic 'Thug life' background'


You may have noticed that I applied the 'cutout' filter to the collage section. This keeps the tones similar to the background and digitally colored jumper. I may make some further improvements later, for example the area on the lower left of Tupac's mouth is a large block of color. I would prefer to have this as detailed as the rest of the face so it doesn't stand out so much. I have called this piece 'Still Ballin' after the Tupac song, also the majority of cut outs are from basketball magazines.

Next portrait: Robert De Niro...Thanks for viewing!



No comments:

Post a Comment